Fitzwater Road extends from Canal Road and ends at the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad maintenance yard. Along this road in the Fitzwater Truss Bridge, it was constructed in 1922 and it approximately 200 feet long and 28 feet wide.
The National Park has closed of the bridge while they try to remove of renovate the bridge. Plans have been mad to re-route the road so it lines up with a four way intersection at Canal Road. (see below)
That’s about all. The bridge isn’t 100% abandoned, but close to abandoned. The plans are set to happen this spring, 2009, so the bridge might not be around much longer.
Below is a picture taken in 2004, borrowed from Cleveland Memory.
Sources and Related Links
- Cuyahoga Valley National Park: Fitzwater Road Bridges
- NPS PEPC: Fitzwater Truss Bridge / Waste Weir Bridge Replacement
- Cleveland Memory: Fitzwater Road King Iron Truss Bridge